Monday, August 25, 2014

Missionary Work = Pure Joy

Ah. I love my life so so so much!!!!!
I have the gospel in my life. I have a great family. I have a shelter and food. WE EACH HAVE GOD ON OUR SIDE.
 Thank y'all so much for all the support. I love y'all so much and I am SO grateful for my fam bam. This work is moving forward and I'm obsessed with it. Every day is amazing and I am filled with so much joy every night when I say a kneeling prayer next to my bed. GAH.
 
Monday: We went over to Ashley's house and we were planning on teaching her the second lesson which is on the Book of Mormon. Her two friends were over braiding hair and they excitingly asked us to teach them the very first lesson. So we ended up teaching the Restoration. The spirit was so strong until we got to the part about Joseph Smith. The girl braiding the hair (Kara) just looked at the picture of Joseph Smith and said, "Nope. Sorry. I can't believe this. This ain't the truth. My dad be a preacher and we read in the Bible that man can't see God in the flesh." OOOOoooOOhh. I was so upset inside, but didn't show it on the outside. Sister Drummond and I just smiled as she spoke and then we each bore a strong testimony of the Book of Mormon and of Joseph Smith. In that moment, I had a realization of how strong my testimony has gotten on my mission. There was not a doubt that crossed my mind when Kara was bashing us. It was such a testimony builder!!! WAHOO. Thanks Kara!!!! hahah but y'all wanna know the amazing thing about the whole experience? Ashley stayed quiet the whole time (she was mad at Kara). Then, after we said a closing prayer, Ashley innocently asked, "When will y'all be back to teach me?" Yup. She is so so great and is able to recognize the spirit even though her friend was being inconsiderate. :)
After that lesson, we had a "new member lesson" with Tammy and Jonathan and oh my, it was hilarious because Chantel joined in on the lesson. (Chantel secretly wants to learn more, but acts like she doesn't sometimes). Chantel kept interrupting us and asking questions like, "Do you think God has upgraded heaven and that people use escalators to visit each other?" hahah oh Chantel. You just have to love her. At the end of the lesson, we asked Tammy how she felt and she said, "Oooh I feel good. The baptists don't believe in this and I really feel bad for them folks." hahahah Tammy is quiet around a big group of people, but when we talk to her in a small group setting, she is absolutely hilarious!!!!! She is soaking everything up and loves learning new things!!!! She told us that she is reading "our heritage" right now and loves it!
 
Tuesday: This day was very odd and stressful, but it taught me a lot of patience :) The sisters in Columbus both had doctors appts at the same time (Sister Klein had one in West Point while Sister Smith had one in Columbus). So we went on a mini exchange and I took Sister Klein to the Doctor in West Point. Guess how long we waited??? 4 HOURS. And no one was in the waiting room to even talk to!!! So, I finished the Book of Mormon! WOOT WOOT!!!!!! It just felt awful not doing anything for that long, but I'm glad we were able to help Sister Klein and Sister Smith out :)
We had a lesson with Danielle (the 15 year old that we met in the park last week.) and she loved it and told us that she wanted to come to church and bring her whole family!
We had a lesson with Jalisa as well and oh my, I love that girl so much!!!! Sister Edwards came with us to the lesson and as soon as we walked in, Sister Edwards asked Jalisa why she couldn't make it to church. Jalisa started to explain that she had to cook for her mom who is handicapped and also take care of her. Then Sister Edwards said, "Okay. Well I will come and get you this Sunday, alright?" Jalisa then said, "YES. No matter what happens. Come pick me up!!!!" MEMBER MISSIONARY WORK IS THE BEST. We had a good lesson with her on Tithing and she loved it!!!! She told us that she wants to start paying her tithing right away and told us about how she is doing make up for a wedding and will get money from that. I love her so so so much!!!!!
After that, Sister Edwards needed help with her visiting teaching so we visited a less active lady named Sister Franks. 
 
Wednesday: Okay. This day was HOT. 107 degrees to be exact. Oh. It was so miserable y'all. We walked over to an appointment that we had with Audrey. We prayed right before that we would know if we should keep teaching her or not. We got our answer as soon as we walked in. We started reading from The Book of Mormon with her and she started to read and kept slurring her words and told us that she couldn't read. She also told us that she didn't get a chance to read the pamphlet that we left with her last time. We know people are ready to learn more if they take the time to AT LEAST read the pamphlet. Cause if they won't even read the pamphlet, then chances are, they won't read the Book of Mormon. Anyway, after that we had a lesson with Ashley on the Plan of Salvation. She thinks that she won't know her Sister as her sister in heaven or her daughter as her daughter. I then said to her, "Ashley. Look at your daughter. How does she make you feel?" Her daughter then started crying which totally defeated the purpose I was trying to make. I then said, "Well... how does she make you feel when you see her giggling or smiling at you?" She then said, "She makes me feel happy!!!" I then said, "Exactly. Heaven would not be heaven unless we are with our families. Wouldn't you agree?" SHE AGREED. People here in the South really don't know as much as I thought they would know. It is so sad to think that most of the people here think that we won't know each other after this life. WHAT WOULD BE THE POINT OF EVEN BEING HERE THEN? That was another testimony builder to me. I am starting to really realize HOW BLESSED we each are to have the gospel in our lives. What a beautiful knowledge we have! I am never going to take it for granted ever again.
We then had a lesson with Mitch OUTSIDE (aka in the 107 degree weather) because his mom wasn't home. Mitch is in his late 30's and a very nerdy man. He is like a big teddy bear. He told us that he had done some research on our church by going online (uh oh. Hopefully he went to mormon.org or lds.org) but he said he was very interested!!! We then asked him what he wanted to learn more of and he said, "You know. I really want to know why I'm here. Where I came from and also where I'm going after this life." hahahahahhahah it was so perfect. We had a lesson on the Plan of Salvation and he seemed to really love it! He had lots of questions and would go off on random rants about the government/obama, but other than that, it was a wonderful lesson!!!
We tracted into a couple named Kourtni and Chris and they are the classic example to me of people who have completely gone the wrong direction and are starting to turn their lives around. Chris has tons of tattoos and was asking us our opinion on tattoos in general.  Anyway, they were super duper nice and we found out that Chris is actually our landlord!!!!! After teaching them about the Book of Mormon, Chris asked us, "What if everything that you have been taught is false?" (He wasn't being mean when he asked the question). I then didn't really know what to say, but the spirit definitely prompted me as I said, "Well.. Let me ask you this: What if everything we have taught you is true? Would it change your life at all?" He paused and looked down for a little bit and then said, "Well. yeah. I guess it would!!!" Then, Sister Drummond and I were able to testify about the truth of this gospel and invited them to read and pray about the Book of Mormon! They said they would :) YAY!!!
 
Thursday: We had Zone Conference in Tupelo which was AMAZING!!!!! I LOVE seeing all the missionaries and hearing from our leaders. I took soooo many notes! President Hanks gave us GREAT advice on how to get people to keep commitments. Here are some examples...
Old: "Will you read?"
New: "As you read the things we've left you, you will feel the spirit of God."
 
Old: "Would you like a Book of Mormon?"
New: "Do you believe in God? Do you believe he loves everyone and doesn't play favorites? We have a record of God speaking to people on the other side of the world at the same time he spoke to the people in the Bible. I bet you'd like to hear about that!"
 
SO GOOD!!! I have been trying to apply the "new" instead of the "old" and it's amazing to see how it works!!!!!
He then talked about how we need to "bug God" and just bug Him all the time by praying to Him all the time! I love that concept!!!! It was so great!!!!!
Wanna know the #1 way to tell if you have the spirit with you? By what offends you.
I will be honest, I remember being obsessed with watching "The Office" back home, but let me tell ya, I just don't even have a desire to watch shows like that anymore. I invite y'all to consider the things that SHOULD offend you as you watch movies or listen to music.
 
It would take me forever to write everything that he said, but it was all super duper good!!!!!!
 
We had a relief society activity that night and learned about emergency preparedness. Only 3 ladies from the branch showed up. so sad. The Relief Society president prepared such a big lesson and it was super good!!!! Tammy came to it!! WOOT WOOT.
 
Friday: We did weekly planning this day because we couldn't do it on Thursday. I honestly can't remember what happened this day. I just remember it being really really hot and we tracted most of the day because no one was outside :(
 
Saturday: AH. BEST DAY OF MY MISSION. DEFINITELY A HIGHLIGHT!!!!! TOM GOT BAPTIZED AND I WAS ABLE TO BE THERE. OH MY GOODNESS. I LOVE TOM SO MUCH !!!!!! I have never been so excited to see someone in my whole entire life! It was such a grand reunion to see him!!!! He loved that I wore the Indian vest hahaha thanks mom for sending it to me :) He told me that he used to live in West Point when he was in his 20's and when he left, he promised himself he would NEVER go back there ever again because of all the crime that takes place. hahahhahah love it.
After he was baptized, he bore his testimony and said, "I have lost a lot of things in my life (He has lost his wife and 2 kids) , but I will never lose this book right here" (he then held up the Book of Mormon). He then started crying as he looked at me and said, "Sister Platt. Thank you for finding me and for giving me the best gift in the world. This book right here has changed my life and I am never turning back to my old life." YEAH. YOU BETTER BELIEVE I WAS CRYING. ahhhhh It was so great!!! After that, I asked him how he felt and he said, "This is the greatest I have felt in a REALLLYYYY long time." Man. I just think back to the time when Sister Weekes and I first met him and thought he was a little crazy. But now, he is one of my best friends. It's just the neatest thing to see people completely change!!! AHHHHHHH I'm so happy :) OH. And it was soooo much fun to see everyone from Russellville ward again. Okay. seriously. the most perfect ward a missionary could ever serve in! Becky was unfortunately very sick and couldn't come :( #dailydoseofbecky I love them all so much and so many came and supported him!!!!!!
 
Sunday: IT WAS SISTER DRUMMOND'S BDAY SO WE CELEBRATED AND I MADE HER CREPES IN THE MORNING. (OH AND HAPPY DAY OF BIRTH TO LYDIA AS WELL. LOVE YOU). Josh came to church!!!!!! YAYYYY BUT Jalisa didn't come last minute because she and her mom apparently got into a huge fight and she had an awful morning. We were able to see her after church and talk with her and we ended up having a good "come to jesus" talk with her and told her that Satan doesn't want her to go to church and that he will do anything to get her away from it. She agreed! She also told us that she isn't going to drink on her bday and that she wants us to come over and spend her birthday with her! UM WHAT? I feel so cool. Jalisa is like the coolest girl ever :) Her bday is this friday! woot woot!!!!
 
Well, I am so grateful for this mission and I'm grateful for y'all so so so much :) I KNOW that God loves each of us and wants to hear from us so please BUG HIM this week!!!! Talk to Him everywhere you go!!!!!!!
 
IN other news...
-I didn't know Obama has white hair!!!! I saw him on the TV at one of our investigators home and I was shocked!!! hahahah soooo funny.
-I met a girl named Zeltavian the other day and also met a guy named Octavius
-Don't worry everyone, peoples favorite scripture is STILL John 3:16!!!!!!
-The song sister Drummond and I made up to the tune of the "snowman" primary song... "Once there was a sister, sister, sister, Once there was a sister tall tall tall. In the sun she melted. Melted. Melted. In the sun she melted, small small small."
 
MYKY,
Sister Platt


Poor Armadillo 


Tom's baptism! AKA best day ever.

All the sisters wearing something Tom has made them.

Teaching the concept of baptism with arm wrestling.


Happy Birthday Sister Drummond!

No comments:

Post a Comment