Monday, November 24, 2014

Hallelujah!

Ah. I am so happy. ALL the time. It's not even a joke y'all. This work that we are doing as missionaries is absolutely INCREDIBLE. How grateful I am to be a missionary at this time. Heavenly Father is SO aware of us and wants the best for each one of us. I know that with all I've got. I KNOW God lives!!!!!!!!!! 

What a wonderful week that we had here in Leeds!!!! Lots of exciting things are happening here :) 
The weather has been acting up lately and one day it will be completely FREEZING and then the next day, it will be completely warm. So confusing. I just love it here!

We had a zone conference this past week and it was grand!!!! Poor President Hanks wasn't able to physically be there because he is still recovering from back surgery, but we were able to skype with him!!!! I love that man so much. 
Here are some of the notes I took:
-Sacrifice your time
-The three stages of missionary work: being on a mission. Being a missionary. BEING A DISCIPLE. Do I want to be a disciple???
-This gospel isn't fake. This is all REAL. Joseph Smith ACTUALLY saw Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. God ACTUALLY chose a 14 year old boy to restore Christ's church. 
-1 Peter 1:16 (love this)
-We are doing a hard thing
-99.9% of your doubts don't happen
-Throw away worries
-Show God what you've got
-Faith by definition is darkness. It's okay to not have a testimony of everything.
-Smilers never lose and frowners never win.
-Do not take advice from your fears
-We are involved in exaltation. How could that not make us confident?
-"We have the power to bring people to exaltation. If you don't know that, hit your knees and plead with God for understanding and He will let you know." -President Nolan (Pres. Hanks assistant)
-The assistants then discussed the scripture found in 2 Kings 6:15-17 which I LOVE. Elisha is a prophet and people are rejecting him. In these verses, it talks about how Elisha woke up in his tent one day and saw his enemies surrounding him. His servent saw them as well and cried unto Elisha saying, "Master! How shall we do?" (or, what shall we do?) and Elisha replied saying, "Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them." How cool is that? We have people on the other side of the veil cheering us on. We have God on our side. It reminded me of one of my favorite scriptures in the Bible found in Romans 8:31. "If God be for us, who can be against us?" 
GOD IS WITH US EVERY DAY. LOOK FOR HIS HAND IN YOUR LIFE.

Updates on investigators:

Diamond and Marquarious: We stopped by their home to see why they were ignoring our texts/calls. (the worst part about missionary work). Diamond answered the door and looked at us and just sighed as she said, "So here's what happened... Marquarious's friend showed him some stuff on the computer about how Mormons hate baptists and other stuff as well so we don't want to meet with y'all anymore." #antiistheworst It was heartbreaking to hear her say that. ugh. We asked her if Marquarious would come out and talk to us about it, but he refused to even look at us. SO SO SO SAD. We just invited them to go onto mormon.org and reminded them how they felt when they first started to learn from us. I know one day, missionaries WILL come to their door again or contact them on the street right when they are ready for the gospel again!!!!! 

Michelle: mah. Michelle has been super busy this past week because she works 7 days on and 7 days off so we weren't able to see her at all!!!!!!!!! Hopefully, we will get a hold of her this upcoming week :) 

Tony: We met Tony this past week! It was definitely a miracle/tender mercy from God with how we met him!!!! I was on exchanges with Sister Johnson in Leeds and we were about to drive away to go home for the night, but then we saw him yelling at us and waving his arms up in the air to get our attention. My initial reaction was, "uh. This guy seems crazy." but the spirit definitely nudged at both Sister Johnson and I and we felt like we needed to stop and talk with him. We pulled up next to his car and he started to explain to us how he used to play football for BYU in 1994 for 2 years before he got kicked out and how he has always wanted to study with the missionaries. He is now in a wheelchair because of some disease he had. He explained to us that he felt it was meant to be that he saw us because something crazy happens every 10 years of his life. (1994--played for BYU. 2004---In a wheelchair) and now it's 2014. I excitingly told him, "Hey! God wants you to learn from us and be baptized!!!!!" haha he totally agreed and asked us when we could meet with him. We met with him the next day at Wendy's and had a lesson with him there. He took religion classes at BYU so he already knows A LOT. It was hilarious because after we said the opening prayer, we asked him if he had any questions that he really was wondering about. He then started to ask all of these deep doctrine questions that I have never heard an investigator ask before. So hilarious. He is so solid, but has a hard time focusing because he just flips from one subject to the next. I love him so much though. 

Ken: Sister Johnson and I were out biking on exchanges and we biked past Ken. Sister Madsen and I briefly taught Ken last transfer, but thought he was just visiting for the day. We biked past him and felt like we should turn around and so we did. We taught him the Restoration right then and there and invited him to be baptized and he said yes!!!!! We set a date with him for December 13. Miracles ALWAYS happen on exchanges y'all!!! 

Tom: While on exchanges with Sister Maxwell, we found Tom! We started talking with him and he explained to us how his wife had recently passed away and that she was a member of our church. CRAZY. We had NO IDEA. He then said that he has pictures of the temple all over his house and that he used to study with the missionaries and go to church. I asked him if he felt that everything is true that we teach and he said yes!!! We invited him to be baptized and he said he would, but he has to get over his smoking. We talked to some members about him and they said that the missionaries have tried a long time with him to quit smoking and haven't been able to get him to stop, BUT MIRACLES HAPPEN so we WILL help him quit!!!! He is the sweetest, most humble man ever. So excited to keep working with him. He works A LOT during the week to pay off some things so it has been hard to catch him at home. 

Pam: We met Pam's husband at walmart one day and he told us we could stop by any time. We followed up on that invitation last night and decided to go over to their home. Her husband, Rocky, answered the door and told us that Pam was sleeping. Well, God answers prayer and apparently woke her up because she came out of her room and started talking with us!!! She told us how she was raised in church, but doesn't really believe that there is one true church and that all denominations have something to offer and as long as we know Jesus Christ, we are good. (this is how most southerners feel). We talked with her all about The Book of Mormon and shared some scriptures with her. I felt prompted to bare testimony about The Book of Mormon as we were about to leave and I said, "Well. Pam. I KNOW that this book WILL change your life and bring you the peace you are looking for. Sister Moore and I wouldn't have come out on this mission if we didn't know that this book could change your life." Sister Moore then bore a powerful testimony as well and Pam's whole countenance changed as she said, "really? I will try and read it." We have a return appointment with her this week!!!!! 

Sister Iverson: We received a referral from Sister Iverson's neighbor to go see her!!! She is a "jesus-loving" woman and is the sweetest woman in the world. She just thought we were so great for offering to say a prayer with her. We told her all about The Book of Mormon and she loved it and kept asking us when we would bring her "our bible". so funny. She is in her 70's and has been going to a "holiness church of God" for her whole life, so who knows what will happen with her, but she is the greatest!!!! God can convert anyone!!!!

Update on CHURCH:
Ah. In the morning, we called Tony, Ken, and Tom to confirm that they were coming to church. Only Tony replied saying that he would be there. Church yesterday was beautifully hilarious. Tony texted us telling us he was outside so we walked out and greeted him. He then just rolled in the church quickly and started to talk to everyone at church. It was great. We sat at the back row because it is the only row that is wheelchair approved. Someone started to say the opening prayer and we hear a loud, "hallelujah" come out of Tony's mouth. "uh oh." I thought as he kept saying it over and over again while the lady was praying.... hahahahhaha oh my goodness. The south... TOO GOOD. 
Then, while the sacrament was being blessed, Tony started to hum some random gospel song super loud. I looked over at him and his eyes were closed and his head was leaned back. It was so classic. I love my life. THEN, the choir sang a song and Tony started to yell even louder, "yes. lord. All for you. Yes. Jesus. You are the all mighty!!!!"  #thismissionistheBEST No one even said anything about it which is a total tender mercy!!!!!
Halfway through sacrament meeting, a man walked through the doors and Sister Moore looked at me and said, "who is that?" MY FACE WAS BEAMING. KEN TOTALLY CAME IN ALL BY HIMSELF. I totally learned a lesson right then: to never doubt. I totally thought he wasn't going to come because he wasn't answering our calls!!!! GAH. SO COOL!!!!! 
After Sacrament meeting, I walked up to Ken and he just laughed and said, "you didn't think I would come, huh?" GOD IS REAL. Tony and Ken both stayed for the Gospel Principles class that Sister Moore and I taught. (we teach basically every sunday now because the elders never want to do it and the teacher who usually teaches is less active). Anyway, we taught about the Savior's Atonement and I am so grateful for the spirit. He is the ultimate teacher and I have fallen in love with teaching gospel truths. It is so much fun seeing people grasp and understand the teachings of the Gospel of Jesus Christ :) 

Update on Walmart: yes. yes. yes. of course we went to Walmarks this past week to contact people. President Hanks always tells us that God made walmart for His missionaries and that is a true statement. While on exchanges with Sister Maxwell, we made cupcakes and walked around the parking lot and handed them all out to random people as we invited them to learn more. WELL. Fast forward 3 days when Sister Moore and I are at Walmarks. A random guy walks up to us and says to me, "hey! do you remember me?" (I didn't recognize him at all). He then started to explain how we had given him a cupcake. hahaha I excitingly then asked him if the cupcake was good and he said yes and then gave us his number so that we could come and teach him!!! BOOYAH. CUPCAKES WORK Y'ALL. 

Update on Brother Mack: HE JUST HAD HIS INTERVIEW FOR RECEIVING THE PRIESTHOOD. He is such a happy 70 year old man and he makes me SO SO SO HAPPY!!! I love being around him and I want everyone to hear his amazing/heartfelt conversion story. He is the best! I love him so much and I secretly wish I could hug him, but no. I am a missionary. I wish y'all could have seen the change that has happened because of the Gospel that is now in his life. His whole countenance is completely different. He studies from the scriptures every day and always has intellectual questions to ask us. Yesterday, at church, we sang the song, "All Creatures of Our God and King" (yes. I thought of dad the whole time!) and I looked over at him during the song and he was shaking his head up and down and had a HUGE smile on his face as he sang the song. Oh my. He is so cute!!!!
FUN FACT ABOUT BRO. MACK. So brother Mack is an extremely picky eater. Like really bad. He told us a story how he went on a trip to Mexico and ate at a steak house for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day for the whole week he was there because it was the only place that didn't serve mexican food which he hates. hahahhaha we came to the conclusion that the only food he really eats and loves is white rice. Sister Moore and I thought of a genius idea to fill up a Christmas stocking of rice to give to him!!! hahahahha He is the best. I want y'all to meet him SO BADLY.

Funny story of the week: We have been reteaching the missionary lessons to a lady who got baptized at the beginning of this year, but is now less active (so sad). Her grandpa was there and he is 95 years old and is absolutely hilarious!!! We invited him to join in on the lesson and he said, "hold on. I need to get my papers for you to read." He then got up out of his seat and went to the back room and rummaged through his stuff. We continued on with the lesson which was on the Plan of Salvation. He came back into the room right as we were about to finish up as we were talking about the different degrees of glory. He interrupted me mid-sentence and gave me a piece of paper that had a random story on it about an old house that had been restored. He demanded that I should read it. So hilarious. So I read it. Then, he started to pull out some more stories for us to read aloud. We had to leave really soon because we were already there for 45 minutes, but he kept telling us to read all the random stories. I asked him if we could finish the lesson and he can barely hear so I just yelled in his ear, asking him if he knew anything about the Celestial Kingdom. hahahahaha. I love my life. The grandpa was raised baptist and he just ignored my question. He was absolutely hilarious. I love old people so much. He reminded me SO MUCH of Grandpa Platt because he told the same stories over and over again about world war 2. It was quite amazing to talk with him because he is full of so much wisdom!!!

I am so excited that it is Thanksgiving this week!!!!! What are y'all thankful for? Oh my goodness, Sister Moore and I have been writing down all the things we are thankful for and the list is endless. 
I'm grateful for: Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, The Holy Ghost, Repentance, The Atonement, Plan of Salvation, Alabama, Missionary work, Food, Shelter, Cars, Oxygen, BBQ, Scriptures, Cameras, my planner, the south, gravy, clothes, southern accents, post its, puppies, bathrooms, children, my watch, sweaters, shoes, thunder, rain, MY FAMILY AND FRIENDS, etc. I really could go on and on. 
Be grateful in EVERY circumstance y'all!!!!!! Heavenly Father has blessed each one of us so so so much!!!!
Go read Mosiah 2: 19-21 :) One of my FAVORITE SCRIPTURES!!!!!

In other news....
-We DO have a dinner appointment for Thanksgiving, thank goodness. We are eating with the Carlisles!!! (The lady who used to be in the same ward as y'all in Roswell). I am so excited :) God answers prayer and gave us someone to enjoy Thanksgiving dinner with. 

-The Iron bowl is this weekend #prayforus 

- Congrats to my sweet mom and sisters for running a HALF MARATHON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ALL UNDER 3 HOURS. WHHHAAAAAAT??? Y'ALL ARE AMAZING AND INSPIRE ME.
- Our current thing to work out to is Jillian Michels YOGA. #sosore #ohjillian #ithinkofdadeverytime #biggestloser

-"Honk if you love Jesus. Text while driving if you want to meet Him" ---church sign

- I officially can't stand cats and dogs. THEY DRIVE ME NUTS. THEY ARE GROSS.

-I had chicken n' dumplings for the first time on my mission. It's a classic southern treat. Not a huge fan.

-We tracted into a lady and this is how the convo went:
Lady: "You two girls are so pretty and are just glowing."
us: "thanks so much! We just know that the good news we bring can change your life"
lady: "ah. That is where y'all are wrong. I feel so bad that you are so deceived. Don't let Satan do that to you and make you believe that Joseph Smith was a prophet." 
us: "Well. We hope you have a great day, ma'am. Do you know anyone in this area who could use the gospel of Jesus Christ in their lives."
Lady: "no. I don't want you to lead any of my neighbors away from the truth."
#k #thesouthismakingmytestimonySOstrong

LOVE Y'ALL. HAVE A GREAT THANKSGIVING and avoid making caveman rolls mom! Let Jenna make them :) hahah have a great one!!!!!!

MYKY,
Sister Platt

No comments:

Post a Comment