Monday, January 27, 2014

The gospel brings PURE JOY!

Hello everyone!!! This week was kinda a weird/slow one, but there were tiny miracles that took place!!! First off, sorry for the email coming to y'all late.. I was just bowling at the arsenal... No big deal. hahah we went with a member and we played three games and now my arm is about to fall off. The highest score I got was a 97!! I would prefer to not tell you my lowest score. So embarrassing.
 
Okay. So I will start off with talking about last monday. I was seriously running around all day like a chicken with its head cut off. We had so many appointments and not enough time to clean or write letters. We went over to Mally's home and ah, she is so grand! She is the one who attended church last sunday (She couldn't come yesterday cause she was sick:( ) Anyway, she wrote down a good 15 questions from church that she wanted us to answer. After we were done answering all of them, she told us that she would now read the Book of Mormon more prayerfully because she got some misunderstandings cleared up which was grand!!! We haven't been able to see her this past week because she is sick.
 
We then went over to the church and gave our investigator, Nick, a tour of the church and gave him part of the 4th lesson! It went really well and he thought the church was beautiful. Nick is a 24 year old who is REALLY REALLY SMART. He got accepted to Vanderbilt and will attend there this upcoming spring!! We invited him to be baptized and he said he would pray about it. We haven't been able to see him either this week because he is down in Montgomery, taking care of his sick grandpa. Ah, but I can totally see him getting baptized really soon!! He is so prepared! We are excited to see what's in store for him :)
 
Thor's wife had her baby and we weren't able to see him either!! hahah it has been just a really different week. BUT we are organizing a way for the ward to help bring over dinner for Thor's family which will be awesome!
 
Oh, guess what? Sister Sheffer and I helped decorate and set up a baby shower for a lady in our ward and ah, it was so fun!!! It was Harry Potter themed and ended up being really fun!!! I guess it can sorta count for me kinda being there for mere's baby shower? hahah not really, but it's as close as I will get.
 
Okay, are y'all ready for the miracle? So there is this less-active lady named Wendy who we have been struggling to contact because whenever we set up appointments to go see her, she cancels last minute. Sister Sheffer and I decided to just bring rice krispy treats over and just show up at her home unannounced. We figured the treats would soften her heart... hehe. It TOTALLY DID. Wendy answered the door and we saw this cute teenage girl (15 years old) peering over her shoulder at the treats. Wendy invited us in and introduced us to her daughter, Jaylee. (By the way, I am naming my future girl Jaylee. CUTEST NAME EVER.) Anyway, Jaylee is not a member of the church. Wendy's ex-husband was super anti and didn't want his kids getting baptized. Wendy used to be the Young Women president and loved coming to church, but I think she is just out of the habit right now. We had small talk with the both of them and just got to know them a lot better. We told Jaylee about the Young Women program, mutual, and girls camp. Jaylee got SO excited and her mom did too!!! Before we left, we just shared a few scripture passages on spiritual gifts. We gave them both a hug and Jaylee then exclaimed, "THIS WAS SO FUN!!! I really enjoyed this! Thanks for coming!" It was just the grandest thing ever. We then biked over to our dinner appointment and saw a missed call from the ward's young women president. We called her back and she told us that Wendy had called her and told her that Jaylee asked what time church was at because she really wanted to go!!!! Ah, it just made us shriek with excitement :) Ah, but they were unable to make it yesterday because they slept in, BUT she said she will come to mutual this week! Baby steps. Right?
Sorry, I don't even know if I'm making sense right now, but I'm just so happy and excited for them!!! God is good!!!
 
Wanna know another tender mercy? So this cute couple (the Plotts) had us over for dinner and they invited their friend from work. The couple told us that we shouldn't mention anything specific about the gospel because their friend doesn't want to be preached to. So, we just shared a bible story of Daniel in the Lion's den. Now, let's fast forward to sunday. A week later. Sister Plott ran up to us and told us that her friend who she invited to dinner WANTS TO MEET WITH US AGAIN and wants us to give him lessons!!!!! WHAT. So we have another dinner appointment set with them for this wednesday :) WOOT WOOT!!!! It just comes to show that you never really know who is prepared and who will be receptive. I'm so grateful for the spirit and the ability that it has to change hearts. It's just the neatest thing to witness.
 
So, we basically bike EVERY DAY and I exchanged my tiny bike for a normal one. It is SO much easier for me to bike up hills now. Yikes, it was SO hard with my tiny fold up bike because I would have to work 3 times as hard as Sister Sheffer because of the tiny wheels. hahaha. I'm getting really buff.
 
I was reading in Preach My Gospel this morning and was reading the section on "My purpose". I have really come to understand how important it is for us to OPEN OUR MOUTHS and share the gospel!! It is ONLY through US that we are able to bring others into the fold and have them recieve the necessary ordinances for exaltation!!!!!!!!!! I feel like I don't have enough time in the day to do all I want to do!!!! I'm so grateful for my savior AND redeemer Jesus Christ. There are so many people here who think they have all of the answers, but they are missing a VITAL part of the gospel of Jesus Christ. It is up to us!
 
I feel like I am forgetting some things, but my mind is really scattered today. I'm sorry this email was lame lame lame. I love y'all so much and thanks for everything!!! WALTER NEEDS TO COME OUT RIGHT NOW.
 
MYKY,
Sister Platt :)

Jim and Peggy Spears!! A cute older couple that loves having us over!! We tracted into them and they are not members. She fed us corn bread with pinto beans!! love them :)

Bowling this morning with Sister Roggio!!! The nicest bowling alley I have ever been to! She took us out to lunch after and it was awesome :)

Sister Sheffer and I got cupcakes from a super cute less active lady :)


Sister Jensen and I!! She used to be my sister training leader, but left home this past week on medical leave :( She is so amazing!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment