Monday, December 16, 2013

Jesus Christ = Peace

Ah. I am so obsessed with this Christmas season. I'm obsessed with the fact that I get to wear HIS name right next to mine all day, every day. I love our Savior AND Redeemer, Jesus Christ. He is what brings us the peace needed.
Well, this week was another REALLY GRAND one. I'm so grateful for this gospel and I'm grateful for the simple truths within them.
So, at the beginning of this past week, our car had some troubles and the Elders took it in the shop for us. We ended up biking 10 miles out to an appointment that we had with Kameron. TURNS OUT SHE WASN'T THERE. It was really rough to bike there because of the bajillion hills that there were, BUT we got a lot of honks from random people so that made us feel a little better. Oh, and on the way back, we met this girl named Faith who was waiting for her mom to pick her up from school. She started to ask us a bunch of questions about our religion and even some weird ones like, "Are Mormons allowed to cut their hair?" We found out that she is actually an Atheist and doesn't go to church. Very interesting. She told us that she thinks religion is "pretty", but she doesn't see why God would let so many things happen to her. We gave her a restoration pamphlet and told her that our message would bless her life in ways that she never would have imagined. She was super cute and super super super nice!!! Ah. She invited us to her band concert which we are going to this week!!! We are praying that she will be willing to let us come teach her soon :)
We had a lesson with Kameron on a different day and OH MY. She is SO prepared. It's honestly getting to the point of being ridiculously crazy. She hasn't been to church and so we decided to "drop the hammer" and really just see what is going on and why she isn't keeping her commitment to come to church. When we first got there, we asked her if she prayed about Joseph Smith being a true prophet and also about Thomas S. Monson. She replied saying, "OH GIRL. YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED. I was praying on my knees last night about that and when I was done with my prayer, my mom walked in and gave me a letter from that "prophet" that I used to believe in and guess what he wanted from me??? MONEY. Girl. That was the fastest answered prayer I have ever received." Heavenly Father seriously works in mysterious ways. Oh my goodness. Anyway, she told us that she is still scared to come to our church because she thinks that her parents will kick her out, so it is a really tough situation with her right now. I have seriously learned so much from teaching her. The spirit is so strong in every lesson and I know that it is strong because God loves her no matter what and wants her to hear the gospel!!!!! Oh my. At the end of the lesson, she said in her prayer, "Thank you for speaking to me through these sisters. I got a lot of answered prayers today. Thank you God." Ah. I LOVE being a missionary!!!!! I have learned that we truly need the spirit in order to speak the words that God would have us speak. God knows them more than we do, so why would we teach in any other way, but the spirit?
We are continuing to work with the Roberts!!! Sister Roberts just wants the best for her cute grandkids!!! (Alayna (5) Gracie (yes. best name ever. 9) and Katie (10)) Sister Roberts excitingly called us the other night and said, "SISTERS!!! I just wanted to let you know that Gracie started to sing "I am a Child of God" as she was cleaning her room!! She was talking about y'all all day today and won't stop singing that song!" My heart just melted. I'm so grateful for this chance that we have to teach Gracie and Katie about the gospel. We are continuing to teach them more and more primary songs and they are learning fast!!!! During our branch Christmas party, Sister Roberts came up to me and innocently asked, "How do I get the Holy Ghost back into my life?" I then was taken back by that question and really tried to rely on the Lord for the answer that I gave to her. I started to talk to her about repentance and how she has received the gift of the Holy Ghost through baptism. I honestly don't remember everything that I said to her, but I must have said something that she needed to hear because she was crying by the end of it. Ah. She is just such an amazing lady and I'm so grateful for her amazing example of wanting to Come unto Christ and be better. We are going over to her house tonight and teaching her and her kids more!!!! Sister Roberts has forgotten a lot of stuff so I am excited to review with her as well.
Oh my, guess who we had dinner with on Friday night? PRESIDENT HANKS!!! So, this is how president Hanks rolls.. He calls us up and says, "hey! I'm outside of your apartment! Come have dinner with me and the elders!!" Um. Okay. He is seriously the coolest mission president ever!!! We walk into the restaurant and President Hanks just yells to everyone in the restaurant, "Are you guys Mormons? You look like Mormons!! We are Mormons! Let us know if you have any questions!" hahhahhaha you should've seen the look on everyones faces!!! hahahhaha We had an awesome dinner. I'm so grateful for him and the person that he is. He is so hilarious and just loves his missionaries! :)
Wanna know something grand that happened? So, on Wednesday night, we were supposed to all gather together as a branch and go caroling. Well, only the Roberts kids showed up and another guy from the branch (brother Abbot). We started to sing some songs while waiting for others to show up. I started to lose hope and just started to pray. The Roberts girls looked SO BORED and I felt so bad for them and just didn't know what to do. Literally, seconds after I prayed, IN WALKS SHANIA!!!! THE 11 YEAR OLD GIRL THAT WE HAVE BEEN TRYING TO CONTACT!!! Best. Thing. Ever. Shania is super outgoing and made the night so fun!! She was so friendly towards Gracie and Katie and all three of them were laughing and singing together by the end of the night. All three of them kept saying to each other, "Are you coming to church on sunday?!?" So grand. I love the way God works.
Katie and Gracie sang in Sacrament meeting yesterday!!!!!! They sang "I am a Child of God" and I was smiling from ear to ear. This gospel is the best thing ever and I'm so grateful for the way that it brings others closer to Christ.
We went to the temple on Thursday!!!!! AH I'm obsessed with it and I'm so grateful to have a temple in my mission :)
We have been teaching "Bob the bell ringer" who rings the bell outside of Walmart EVERY DAY for salvation army. It's so grand. We are slowly starting to teach him more and more and he loves it! more stories about him will come later, I'm sure.
Well, I love y'all so much!!! I love this gospel! I love Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father and I love the fact that they can speak to us and comfort us through the Holy Ghost. I hope y'all have a great week and remember the celebration of Jesus Christ!!!!!
MYKY,
Sister Platt :)
P.S. MOM! I got the package and I won't open it until Christmas :) LOVE YOU. Thank you so much!!!!!!












No comments:

Post a Comment