Monday, December 2, 2013

Really Disappointed in My Team

First things first, Roll tide didn't really roll too well this past week against Auburn and oh my, there were some angry people at church on Sunday. hahaha ROLL TIDE ROLL. Speaking of rolls, how were JENNA'S AMAZING ROLLS???? Ah, I literally was thinking about them multiple times throughout the day on Thanksgiving. SO YUMMY.
 
How is everyone? I LOVE MY FAMILY SO MUCH!! I'M SO GRATEFUL FOR Y'ALL!!!!!
 
Well, I guess I will start off by talking about Thanksgiving day. We had TWO dinner appointments!! We went over to our relief society president's home (Sister Williams) and had dinner with her and her husband, the Smiths (in our branch), and their friends! It was a lot of fun and there was some good ole' southern cookin. I think it's safe to say that I am now obsessed with banana pudding!! It is SO GOOD and everyone eats it here for dessert!!! We also went over to Rena and Nick's home. They are both in their 20's and frankly, some of my favorite people to visit!! Rena is a member, but hasn't been back to church in years and Nick has never been to any church in his life!!! They are both awesome and they put on the movie, "The Other Side of Heaven" again for us to watch. Nick started to ask us questions about the after life and we ended up giving him a lesson on the plan of salvation and Rena even helped us explain it to him! Rena mentioned to us how she wanted to live with her family for eternity and told Nick that he and her could live together after this life is over. Nick gave her a weird look and jokingly said, "uhhh I don't know about that." I asked Rena if she wanted to be sealed to him and she said "yes!!!" BEST. THING. EVER. We invited Nick to be baptized and he said he "eventually would get around to it." Nick is the type of person who is very easy going and he has expressed his desire to come to church, but I just think both of them aren't motivated because of how far away they are from church and Rena has had struggles in the past with people in the branch. We are continuing to work with them! They seriously love us though which is so great! People in the branch are amazed that Rena is even giving us the time of day!!!
Oh. Funny story: Nick was looking through our "white missionary handbook" on the mission rules and as he finished reading, he just said, "y'all can't do nothin'" We just busted out laughing, it was really funny.
Oh. Another story which is quite awkward: We showed up at Rena and Nicks and noticed that Nick's dad Tony wasn't there (He always is) I asked them: "Where's Tony?" They all just started to laugh and Rena finally goes: "uh yeah he's in Jail." Alright.
 
Oh my so you know how we were supposed to teach that cute girl named Summer who came with Ashlyn to church and how we were supposed to have an icecream party with her? Well, Summer's mom is apparently REALLY anti-Mormon and didn't want her to come :( SO FRUSTRATING!!! But we were able to still have an icecream party with Ashlyn and Amy and their boyfriends. hahahhaha just imagine this, Sister G and I with 4 teeny boppers who are so awkward around each other. Oh boy. It was still really fun though! They acted too cool for us most of the time, but whatever. It's weird, everyone looks at me and thinks I'm old now. Lame Lame Lame.
 
So we are continuing to teach Kameron!!! We taught her a lesson on modesty and oh my she is just so funny. She showed us all of her clothes that she just bought and they were all really short. At the end of the lesson, she said a prayer and this is what she said, "Dear Heavenly Father, I just want to thank you for sending me these ladies to teach me about modesty. Please help me to wear longer skirts EVEN THOUGH IT'S GOING TO BE A REALLY BIG ST-RUUGLEE!" We found out more about her and how she agrees that marriage should be between a man and a woman. She says she has a female brain, but her physical nature is male. It's all very interesting, but when she explained it, it totally made sense!!!! Just search: "gender identity disorder".
She told us that she wants to still be baptized, but her parents don't want her to :( She explained that she wants to move out of her home first and then be baptized so that she won't have contention in the home. We are trying really hard to make her understand the importance of being baptized this month. We are going over again today and will talk to her about agency. I'm so grateful for her and the Christ-like love I have learned to develop as we have been teaching her.
 
During the Alabama VS. Auburn game, literally EVERYONE was at home and we were told that tracting would be completely pointless because people would be mad if two missionaries knocked on their door during the game. We decided to go "shopping for investigators" and go to the stores that are in Clanton. We biked to Walmart and just talked to the ladies working there, but the biggest success we had was at this HUGE flea market!! We bought cute Christmas tins to hand out to people for like 50 cents. As we were checking out, their were 3 ladies at the cash register. One lady (Nikki) asked us what church we belonged to and we began to explain to all three of them the restoration! It was grand! We handed them pamphlets and they continued to ask more questions like: "what do Mormons believe?" "Do you believe in our Bible?" "Do you believe in Jesus?" Ah, it was so grand and we are definitely going back there and visiting with them again. They said to come back anytime :) That experience made me realize how important it is for people here to realize that Mormons ARE Christians and that we are normal!!!! There are so many churches here who teach such false doctrines about our church and some churches even go through a "Crash Course on Mormonism". So crazy. Christ's church will NEVER falter though; what comfort that brings to me!!!! :)
 
Yesterday, we met with a lady who received the discussions years ago from the missionaries. Her husband is a less-active member. She was super nice and even told us, "you know what's weird? this morning, while I was at my church, I prayed to God and asked him to give me help during this time in my life and then y'all just showed up today!" I just love being instruments in the hands of God!! It's the best feeling in the world!!!! We were able to give her a great message about Christmas and she loved it!! She told us to come back whenever :)
 
One scripture that comes to mind with everything that has happened this week is Alma 5:19. I just love it! I want to have the image of God in my countenance so people here can recognize me as a follower of Jesus Christ. I want to have a pure heart and clean hands!!!! I challenge y'all to take this scripture to heart this upcoming week. Let people know that you are a follower of Jesus Christ!!! Let people know that you love Heavenly Father. Talk with the missionaries. Help the missionaries. Give them referrals!! May we all build up the Kingdom of God everyday!!! It is our duty and I wish I would of realized that before my mission.
 
I'm so grateful for this gospel. God is grand! This gospel is a beautiful thing that really can change hearts and minds :)
I'm grateful for the love that has been showed towards me this time of year. I love my family and friends!!!
MYKY,
Sister Platt
P.S. Thank you so much to the McHales and the Greenwoods for the YUMMY treats this past week!!!!
P.S.S. Sorry, but I won't have too much time today to write letters, but I love y'all so much :) mom-I will at least write you!!!!
P.S.S.S. We tracted into this guy who told us that he converted some Mormon missionaries to his southern Baptist church and then he asked us if he could baptize us. (umm. no) Gotta love the South!!!!

 Thanksgiving turkeys that we made! so precious

Thanksgiving with Rena and Nick. Nick looked at the picture and said, "I look like a toothpick".

Biking! wahoo so fun. We biked 4 miles to an appointment that fell through. wahoo!yeah! missionary work is the best!!!

HOMEMADE PIZZA. Guys. I'm getting really good at cooking. And mom-I eat spinach EVERY DAY!!!

Mama Gray! Love her. She loves "her angels" (us) and loves having us over to share scriptures and sing hymns! She is not a member, but has met with missionaries for 20 years and reads from the BOM! She is a funny lady and always wants to cook for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment