Monday, December 9, 2013

Ladies and gents... WE HAVE A PRIMARY!!!!

Oh my goodness. Y'all don't even know how happy I am to say that we have a primary!!!! This week was full of tender mercies and hope!!!! I'm so grateful for the answered prayers and the way that we, as missionaries, are instruments in the hands of the Lord. Wowee!
So. The primary. Yes. 5 kids showed up to primary yesterday and oh my, I just had the biggest smile on my face!!! It's amazing how God works and how if we just exercise some faith, great things will happen!!!!
We have two cute new investigators named Jayden and Shania. We met them at "Dari Delite" (icecream place) and talked with them for quite some time. They are half sisters! Jayden is 10 and Shania is 11. Shania is this spunky girl who always keeps us laughing and Jayden is super sassy. I'm obsessed with them. They came to our scripture study class WHICH WAS GRAND BECAUSE A LOT OF PEOPLE SHOWED UP FOR IT. Shania went around and hugged everyone in the branch after the study class and just kept saying, "I love Mormons! This church is better than my other one because my other church doesn't even talk about Jesus." So funny. They were not able to come to church yesterday because they were staying at their grandma's, BUT NEXT WEEK THEY WILL. Their parents are really supportive and don't seem to mind us at all which is grand. We went to the Clanton Christmas parade with them on Friday night which was so fun! It was the cutest parade ever and lasted 30 minutes. It was fun to see the whole town get together and celebrate!
We have also been contacting this less active member, sister Roberts who has expressed a strong desire to come back to church!!! She is a super sweet lady and wants her grandkids to be taught by us because they are 9 and 11 and have not been baptized. They came to church yesterday and as soon as I saw her get out of the car, she said to me, "I bet you didn't think I would really show up, huh?" I just laughed and gave her a hug and told her how excited I was to see her there! I sat with her during relief society and she kept asking me all these questions about how the church services went. (She hasn't been back to church in 15 years). We had a really good sacrament meeting and the spirit was so strong in that room. I could tell that she knew she was in the right place. I'm so grateful for her!! She has had such a hard life and yet, she thanks God for all she has and wants to be better. I am just learning so much from the people here and how much faith that they have. It's inspiring.
Kameron has been acting a little "fishy" lately and I "reckon" that she is "fixin" (I'm trying to talk more southern) to move out and that she is stressed with everything going on. She has not answered our calls or texts the past few days which has gotten us a little worried. We did teach her twice this past week which went really well! She is just hilarious. We talked to her about agency with Adam and Eve. She expressed her concern about Eve and how she has always thought that Eve was dumb. We cleared things up for her and told her how it was all part of Heavenly Father's plan. She totally was absorbing everything that we said and LOVES talking about the Plan of Salvation. She kept saying to us, "shoot. I will have to say sorry to Eve tonight in my prayers." and then, we had her say the closing prayer before we left and she said, "Heavenly Father, Thank you for all that these sisters have told me about agency. Eve. (pause) We WILL HAVE TO talk tonight girl." Ah I'm obsessed with the South. Oh, and we also asked her if she had any more questions about anything that we have taught her and she just said, "You know, I'm just grateful. I am grateful for the chance that God has given me to talk with you ladies. It has opened my eyes and it has given me strength through this time in my life. And GIRL. the Book of Mormon is such a comfort." She is so great! She has still not come to church because she doesn't feel confident going, but we are working on it!!!
I am loving this time of year! It's super rainy/misty here which is super grand! We have sung A LOT of Christmas carols to the people in the nursing home. Ah. I just love it. I love hearing them softly sing along to the church Christmas hymns that we sing them. Christ is what it's all about.
We had a Christmas Nativity that we were able to go to yesterday night down in Montgomery!!!!! It was amazing and there were hundreds of nativities displayed!!! Did y'all watch the Devotional last night? Oh my. I just started to cry when we all joined in and sang "silent Night". Especially when it showed Thomas S. Monson, Uchtdorf, and Eyring singing along as well. I just started to really think how AMAZING this church is and how BLESSED we are to have the truth in our lives. I am so grateful that I can share the "good news" of Christ's birth and the life that He so beautifully led. Every night, when I pray, I just think about how glorious it is that I am on this mission in Alabama!!! I'm obsessed with the people here and I just love the culture and the way that people carry themselves here. God is so good and knows us so well!!!
I have recently been obsessed with Matthew 11:28-30. Christ can provide peace that NO ONE ELSE can. He WANTS us to come unto Him and lay our burdens at His feet. He wants to give us rest! How great is our older brother!!! Ah. He died for YOU.
Sorry, I don't have much time to write, but I LOVE Y'ALL so so much and I'm so grateful for this gospel and the way that it blesses others. I am grateful for Jesus Christ and all that He has done for each and every one of us. I'm grateful that he was born in such humble circumstances. I'm grateful that God knows us better than we know ourselves.
I hope all went well at the burial. I think about dad a lot and about how great of a missionary he was. I want to be like him and just be bold in my missionary efforts here.
MYKY,
Sister Platt
:)







No comments:

Post a Comment